Background

Sunday, March 20, 2011

God's Good Blessings

Today was a beautiful day, in every sense of the word. I got to spend it with the four people I love the most in this world: my husband and three kids.
After a long month away from worshiping at our church, I was finally able to join my brothers and sisters in song this morning. Then, it was off to teach children's church. We were blessed with 23 kids, all excited and incredibly well-behaved, which is a rare blessing.  I met another home-schooling mom who recently moved to the area with their four girls, one of whom was adopted from China. Needless to say, we had a lot to talk about and I am looking forward to (hopefully) spending more time getting to know her.
After church, the kids and I had a simple lunch of PB&J while my hubby was at a youth group sponsors meeting. Finally, we were all together again and decided to go out to enjoy the incredibly beautiful weather.  We took the kids to the park first, then hit DQ, Wal-Mart for new bikes, and then the disc golf park.  They didn't have any the right size for our Buddy, but Munkin Punkin got a new bike just her size, and was so excited about it that she had to ride it even more after supper.  Needless to say, she conked out as soon as her head hit the pillow.
As I was sitting on my couch tonight, enjoying my laptop, snacks, and iced tea, it occurred to me how blessed my life is. I was thinking about the people in Japan, less than one percent of whom know Jesus, and it made my heart ache for them. Not only because I was sitting there enjoying every physical comfort, but because I have the peace of mind that comes from knowing the One who is in control.  As I reflect on my beautiful day, it drives me to ask myself, "Did I do anything to teach my children that life is more than fun times, ice cream, and new toys? Did I in any way communicate that, no matter what happens-earthquakes, tragedies, loss of any sort-that it's all going to be okay?" Because, in the end, "we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose." (Romans 8:28)  Even if we can't see the good, or understand how it could possibly be good, it is. Because God said so. I am so thankful for that, and also for the good that I CAN see in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment