Background

Sunday, March 13, 2011

It is Well With my Soul

I have always loved to sing to my children. When my little Buddy was a baby, I would rock him to sleep every night and sing him a song. It was usually Amazing Grace.  My Punkin Munkin wants me to sing Be Thou My Vision every single night when I tuck her in. I'm sure I could sing it in my sleep. And my baby girl loves anything that I sing.  It is a great way to immediately calm her...to calm both of us, actually.

I like singing hymns the most.  I have such fond memories of singing hymns in church when I was a child.  I grew up in Baptist churches and hymns were pretty much the only songs we sung.  I guess I want to share that part of my childhood with my kids, because we don't often sing hymns in church anymore.  When we do, and my five-year-old can belt out the lyrics without even looking at the screen, I feel like I've succeeded in passing down that part of my Christian heritage.

There is just something about seeing my three year old sing Come, Thou Fount of Every Blessing. It centers me and reminds me that there is still innocence in the world.  It makes me think, just for a moment, that maybe we are doing at least one thing right as parents.

No comments:

Post a Comment