Background

Sunday, May 15, 2011

Mother's Day

Mother's Day always sneaks up on me. I'm not really sure why. And yes, I do know that it was last Sunday. I'm just late blogging about it because...well...I'm late blogging about everything. Plans to change that soon.  But I digress.

This year, I decided I wanted to do something homemade for my mom and mother-in-law on Mother's Day.  Because of the wonders of Google Reader, I am able to view the creative genius of hundreds of other women and never have to come up with my own ideas. It's great for a busy mom like myself.  I found this tutorial, and I knew right away that it would be perfect for my moms. 

Of course, I found this only a couple of days before Mother's Day, so by the time I actually got the towels done, it was Monday (yes, the one after the holiday) before they were in the mail.  Luckily for me, both my mom and m.i.l. are incredibly understanding ladies.  Also, I don't think they've ever received anything in the mail from me in time for the actual event.  Sigh.  Some day, I will be organized.  I hope.

So, carefully following the directions in the tutorial, I made a shopping list and noted exactly what I'd need to make these beautiful gifts. 

Okay, not really. I just glanced at the tutorial, thought to myself that I'd pick up some towels and some ribbons, and that I'd use fabric I had laying around my sewing area.  Well.  I got home with my towels, a few spools of ribbon, and no fabric, and once I looked at the tutorial and actually read the instructions, realized that my plan would not work.  I ended up exchanging one set of towels and getting new ribbon and buying fabric specifically for the project.   I had a couple extra trips to Wal-Mart and the fabric store on Saturday (yes, this would be the day before Mother's Day).  On the upside, the leftover ribbon and fabric will do many more sets of towels! 

The completed set for my mother-in-law!

These towels and ribbon were really easy to work with.  I just bought three fat quarters at the quilt shop and used them for the fabric.  As soon as I saw these bright, springy colors, I thought of my mother-in-law. That's what I love about this project; you can really customize it to the taste of the giftee.  Is that even a word?  Giftee?  Sorry.  Anyway...the only thing I did really differently than the tutorial was to just cut a strip of fabric 2 1/2 inches wide, and then I laid it across the towel and cut it to match.  That way, I was sure it fit.  The grosgrain ribbon sort of just stuck to the towels because of the nature of the fabric, so that made it very easy to keep them straight during sewing. 

I just hope they don't fall apart during their first washing!

The set that I did for my mom was a little different.  I used a different type of towel, and the ribbon was satin, so it was harder to get it to stay in place.  I had to resort to...gasp...pinning.  You would think that I would just learn my lesson about pinning, after all the sewing I have messed up as a result of not pinning because I want to save time.  Not so.  But I did pin these.  And they turned out very nicely.

I love the soft, muted colors of these fabrics.

My mom instantly came to mind when I found these fabrics!  Her house is decorated with soft colors like these, and the effect is so soothing.  It's a very relaxing home.  I wanted to make something that would fit in with that scheme.  

These were a little tricky because of the pattern on the white towels.  The lines are not exactly straight with the hem (thanks a lot, Wal-Mart), so I had to decide if I wanted to follow the lines or the hem.  I decided to go with the lines, since the last line was covered up and the hem's crookedness probably wouldn't be as noticeable as the crookedness of a line compared to the ribbon.  Does that make sense?  Anyway....they were still really fun to do.  I used the same ribbon on the top of all of these, so that made the sewing faster than the other set when I had to change thread a few times.  

Mom's set!
I encourage you to check out the tutorial if this is something that you have thought about doing but have never had the chance to try!  It's really not hard.  If you can cut and sew a straight line, you can do this.  And the finished product makes it look a lot more difficult than it is.  So you look like a sewing genius.  I am going to try it with some plain diapers and make burp cloths next.  I will let you know how they turn out!

2 comments:

  1. :-) Annie, I just love love love my towels. They're such a beautiful addition to my kitchen. You've done something I've only thought about doing for many many years. I have to chuckle about your comments about pinning. I used to be the same way, but have learned that, in the end, it always saves time. Kind of like the carpentry adage, "measure twice, cut one" - "pin first, sew once". I'm proud of your sewing skills and creativity.
    Love you & your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! I, the lazy loaf that I am, didn't even get cards to mom and m.i.l., let alone beautiful gifts. I applaud you!!! *clapclapclapclap*

    ReplyDelete