Background

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Holding My Possessions Loosely

My sweet five year old son taught me an important lesson today.  I really shouldn't be surprised; he oftentimes speaks with wisdom beyond his years.

This morning I was talking to my husband about donating to a needy family a couch that is in our basement and really never gets used.  He was all for the idea. I then mentioned that they have a 3 year old son who could use some toys, and almost before I finished my sentence, my son was on his way to the playroom to fill up a bag with toys.  He brought it back to me to show me what he had chosen, and I had to hold my tongue from protesting.  A couple of things he had been given for birthdays or Christmas, and even though he had outgrown them, to me, they had sentimental value.  I smiled and told him that they would make the little boy very happy, and he had never looked happier.  I went into the kitchen to continue making my breakfast, and as I thought about what had happened, I was convicted by the Holy Spirit about my reservations.  Why would I ever try to subdue the generosity of my child?  Jesus spoke often of loving others more than yourself, and of giving away possessions in order not to feel tied to worldly things.  Don't I want my son, who has professed faith in Christ at such a young age, to be more like Him?   I also certainly want to encourage the Fruits of the Spirit in my children: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control.  My son's willingness to give away perfectly good toys to a total stranger gives just a glimpse of the softness of his heart.  I often pray that I might be as generous and unselfish as he.

2 comments:

  1. *mopping my tears* Sweet boy, sweet mama. Love you both so much and so proud of you both as well. You know honey, he has learned his generosity someplace:-) XOXO <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh goodness... what a good reminder! I would have had the same reservations as you... to much sentimental value with some 'things'!

    ReplyDelete