Background

Saturday, March 26, 2011

Gaining Some Perspective

God is so good.  Yesterday was a series of trials, and today was not without its own, but through it all, God has been faithful.  So many people were praying for my sweet boy to get feeling better, and he was, by 5:30 this morning when he "couldn't sleep."  It's probably because he slept sooooo much yesterday.  But anyway, it was a good excuse to let him come snuggle with me in bed since my hubby was gone.  The girls have stayed healthy so far, which is a good sign, and I am feeling great.  The hot water heater blew last night so we spent the day with no hot water, BUT-we had water.  I am so thankful for that.  This morning the baby got a bath in the kitchen sink.  Turns out that a tea kettle full of boiling water mixed with a sink of cold water makes just the right temperature for a bath.  :)  She wouldn't have even needed one, except for the fact that she is feeling very independent right now...which translates into, "Mama, let me feed this oatmeal to myself, and while I'm at it, I'm going to smear it all over my hair and face!  I'd like to see you clean THAT up with a cold washcloth!" 

I felt very Little House-ish...and then thought about how pathetic that was.  All I did was boil some water to  heat it instead of turning on my hot water faucet.  I have such an easy life.  Sure, I complain when my appliances don't work, and that my windows are old and don't seal well, and that the laundry never stops piling up.  But hey-that means I have appliances (that make my life easier!) and that I have windows (to keep out the elements and let in the light), and that we have enough clothing (to clothe two families).  Days like this, ones that come with an extra inconvenience, give me two choices.  I can choose to complain about how rough my life is, or I can be thankful for how easy it usually is.

When I think about my brothers and sisters in Christ who are living in poverty-by choice-to spread the Gospel around the world, I can't even complain about not having hot water.  When I think about orphans in Africa who never get a bath, or a hot meal, or any number of other conveniences I take for granted, it makes it impossible for me to feel grumpy about my own situation.

I thank God for reminding me of others who are truly in need, so that I can see how insignificant my own needs are in comparison.

1 comment:

  1. It's SO true, that most days when things seem rough, all we need to do is get a new perspective - we have SO much to be thankful for!

    ReplyDelete